karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KAR feature not doing what the docs say it should
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 08:33:47 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. Supporters of the "don't need maven dependencies" idea almost had me convinced for
a while until I realized this would really be abusing maven.   It would be OK for an ant
task where there's no expectation of any structure, but one of the basic principles that makes
maven work is that the pom describes all the outside dependencies.  Generally violating this
principal causes lots of unanticipated problems when you try to reason about the broken pom
downstream.

I'm not with you here. You still have to define the versions
somewhere; I see the features.xml more as an extension than an
replacement.

> 2. The kar packaging already does a lot of things including extending an existing features.xml
(so you can have config properties etc) and including arbitrary resources that get unpacked
into the karaf server.  I think if there's documentation in a features.xml file it should
be in elements so it can be reasoned about and possibly displayed in the console.  I'm sure
there are more things we can get it to do, and specific examples would really help.

But still, I have no problem if we allow both possibilities, but it
should always be possible (imho) to create a kar file based on a
features.xml

Kind regards,
Andreas

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Mar 1, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:
>
>> Just to pitch in on this: I really like to write my own feature files for Karaf.
Generally, I want to create one features file that pulls together artifacts from a whole set
of projects, in a way that creates features as meaningful 'applications' that an ops guy can
install/uninstall. While I appreciate that we could auto-generate the features file from a
Maven POM, I prefer to *design* my features so that they're ergonomic. And, as has been mentioned
earlier on this trail, hand-crafted features allow me to add config, documentation, etc. Any
tooling we can write that helps the developer do this in an easy, no fuss way (and maybe spots
any missing dependencies) should be preferred over a 'generate-from-Maven' approach, IMHO.

>> Cheers,
>> Ade

the versions in it will differ from those in your maven project rather than generating the
features.xml from your maven project so the versions will match up.

>> I'm not sure why they should? You can easily wire them together by
>> filter the features.xml and use something like ${xyz.version} in your
>> features.xml. In addition you do not always want to use the same
>> artifacts as you reference in your pom. E.g. if you wrap Apache
>> Wicket, you typically have one package with all deps, but in the src
>> you really want to reference the single packages to help maven finding
>> sources and jdoc.
>>
>>> I agree with KARAF-459 to the extent that if we keep the archive-kar goal it
should use more info from the supplied features.xml.  I am arguing that we should not keep
it.  Why is it a good idea to encourage people to get their dependencies out of sync?

>> I don't think that we encourage them to do so, but using the
>> features.xml it is much easier to add config files, configurations,
>> required features, other repositories... All of that have to be
>> configured otherwise anyhow in the maven plugin and I think this will
>> make it much more complex.
>>
>>> If you convince me this is a good idea :-) then I think making the kar packaging
so it can start with a (possibly partial) features.xml, add maven dependencies to it, and
put all the resulting dependencies into the generated kar would be a good idea.  I think
this would solve KARAF-459?

>> I've tried ;)
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andreas
>>

>>> I don't know what the add-features-to-repo goal does yet so I'm not sure if I
think it's useful :-)

>>> thanks
>>> david jencks

a features descriptor (that you wrote by hand) and the goal package the descriptor and the
bundles/dependencies into a repo (kar or local).

versions in the features.xml which you are presumably maintaining by hand from those in your
maven poms.  I consider that a non-starter.

in the first place.  At the same time you can construct the kar, including (some of) the
dependencies.

So you simply define the features what you want to embed in the Kar and the plugin is responsible
to download and embed all bundle dependencies.

and it manages transitive dependencies to others features.

use the kar packaging which generates both the features.xml and the kar from the maven dependencies.

and package the features descriptor and the related bundle into a kar archive (that's it's
a goal of the features maven plugin).
take an argument to define if the bundle are embedded in the kar or not.
of using a kar more than directly drop the features descriptor into the deploy directory :)

I think is usable is the (undocumented) kar packaging which ought to look something like this:

and include the bundles you mentioned as entries in the feature.xml and copied into the kar.

      <id>archive-kar</id>

      <goals>

              <goal>archive-kar</goal>

      </goals>