karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: feature dependency change tracking
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:19:01 GMT
Sounds a good idea to me.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 05:09, Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, you're right there is really no better option than to store it
> in src/history... I don't think using the mvn-scm plugin and browsing
> the history would provide you with the results you like :)
>
> In other words I do not need such a feature right now, but I could
> think of use cases where it makes sense --> As long as it is opt-out
> (deactivated by default) +1
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:58 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>
>>> Hey David,
>>>
>>> Am I right assuming that this would be a feature of the karaf-maven-plugin?
>>
>> yes, I should have made that clear....
>>>
>>> If no: Please clarify :)
>>>
>>> If yes: I personally would not require such a feature (I don't like it
>>> if mvn manipulates my src folder for any advantages). But if other
>>> want it and it's opt-out I'm not against it and we can add it to the
>>> 3.0 roadmap page
>>
>> what it does is all configurable.
>> I couldn't think of any other way to determine changes from previous results other
than to store the previous results in src somewhere.  So one of the options is to have the
plugin update this for you on change, then svn/git status shows you something changed.  Another
option is to have it fail on change in which case nothing in src would be changed.  Or you
can just turn it off entirely.

>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>

>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas

in your "feature" changed.  We've generally found this useful when working on a fairly stable
feature and extremely annoying when working on something that's changing rapidly.

are put in a dependencies.xml file in target

an initial src/main/history/dependencies.xml.  With fail-on-change, when dependencies change
you either fix them or decide the change is ok and manually copy the new dependenciex.xml
over src/main/history/dependencies.xml.  With warn-on-change you usually notice a changed
dependencies.xml when you do svn status before a commit.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet