karaf-dev mailing list archives

From mikevan <mvangeert...@comcast.net>
Subject OSGi Service Platform Release 4.0 - Early Draft
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 01:50:30 GMT
Today I took a long, hard look at
http://www.osgi.org/download/osgi-early-draft-2011-09.pdf OSGi Service
Platform Release 4.0 - Early Draft . That document is going to require some
fairly major changes to both karaf and felix.  I'd like to discuss those
changes in this thread. My impressions could be wrong, so feel free to
correct me. The changes I see we'll need to do is:
- Subsystem: Reworking how we do provisioning.  We use features.xml files,
the Subsystem section mandates the use of configuration files similar to a
.jar file's MANIFEST.MF file. Another item to consider is where provisioning
should take place. Should it be Karaf, or would it be more appropriate to
have Felix perform provisioning?
- OBR: Feilx will need to change how it manages its bundles to comply with
this.  Cave will likely need major changes as Felix will be managing the OBR
directly.  Karaf and Felix will need to decide whether or not to continue
the user of mvn: and file: URL's to get bundles.
- JMX enhancements: This is most likely to be done in Felix. I don't see
anything here that would need to be done with Karaf other than resolving any
dependancies required by Felix changes.
- Declarative Service Annotations: This also appears to be mostly
Felix-related.  Unless Karaf has declarative services in it (maybe we do,
dunno the answer here), then we're good. If we do, we'll probably need to
include the new declaratives services annotations.  I dont' see anything in
the document that discusses backwards-compatibility.
- Bundle Collision Hook: To my knowledge, Karaf doesn't care if there are
multiple instances of the same version of the same bundle deployed into a
single instance of karaf.  As long as wiring can occur, Karaf is cool.
- Version Update: This is actually a pretty cool improvement.  That said,
its very likely not going to matter to us. Even when Felix is modified to
use OBR, Karaf will simply leverage Felix' OBR functionality.
- Declarative Services: If Karaf has any declarative service, they will need
to be changed to work in a manner suggested by this RFC.

-----
Mike Van
Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog