karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Database commands for Karaf
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:43:35 GMT
I don't quite understand the security problem, but maybe I'm thinking of a different environment.
 I would expect an environment where the db enforces user level access to that user's data
to be set up in the app server using container based security, where the app server maps the
user identity and credentials that it uses to the identity and credentials for the db (for
instance, they might be the same) and supplies the db-level user info to the connection as
it is obtained from the pool.  So if you log into karaf using ssh, your identity will then
be supplied to the db and you can only see and manipulate your own data.  I don't know what
connection management framework this proposal was thinking of but geronimo connection management
supports this.

If you were thinking that the application would enforce the user level security, not the database,
and all db connections would use the same db user identity, then there is more of a problem,
but I would expect that if a malicious user could ssh into a server there are bigger problems
than this.

BTW perhaps geronimo would be a better place than aries for this, if it doesn't end up in
karaf.  It's not a new enterprise technology, it's more of a usability extension to existing
enterprise functionality.

thanks
david jencks