karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Size of karaf distributions
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:56:51 GMT
I just filed an issue with the aether project to provide bundles and
will help to resolve this.

Currently I am using aether in the 2.2.x branch already. But just
internally and could remove it if we decide to not depend on it. I will
also provide the code for the trunk in karaf but di not get it working
till now so I did not yet commit.

Christian

Am 03.01.2012 13:48, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> Looking at the code, we use org.ops4j.pax.url.maven.commons package,
> but not really aether.
> So it may be possible to embed only the packages needed and not the
> full aether api.
>
> Alternatively, if we really need aether, it may be better to install
> it as a real bundle and have it shared by pax-url-aether and the dev
> commands.
>
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 20:25, Christian Schneider
> <chris@die-schneider.net>  wrote:
>> The pax url dep came from me.  I wanted to discuss this anyway. For what I
>> do right now pax url aether is not absolutely necessary. So I could replace
>> that with some own code. On the other hand it may be interesting to provide
>> services in pax based on the aether api like get available versions of
>> artifact. Perhaps even browse maven repos with some extensions. This would
>> allow content assist for mvn urls.
>>
>> So what do you guys think. Do we plan to use aether more or should we get
>> rid of it again?
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> Am 02.01.2012 19:16, schrieb Jamie G.:
>>
>>> Running a quick diff on minimal and standard kits the largest
>>> difference appears to be that the standard distribution includes demos
>>> and a few extra jars in the system folder.
>>>
>>> org.apache.karaf.region.commands-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar ->    23K
>>> org.apache.karaf.shell.config-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar ->    43K
>>> org.apache.karaf.shell.services-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar ->    25K
>>> org.apache.karaf.shell.ssh-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar ->    38K
>>> mina-core-2.0.3.jar ->    630K
>>> sshd-core-0.6.0.jar ->    320K
>>>
>>> When the above is removed then this accounts for the 1Mb reduction in
>>> size to become 'minimal'.
>>>
>>> Looking at the largest jars in the system folder we have:
>>>
>>> 2.3M org.apache.karaf.shell.dev-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>> 1.3M osgi-3.7.1.R37x_v20110808-1106.jar
>>> 2.5M pax-url-aether-1.3.5.jar
>>>
>>> All other jars are under a Mb, the largest of which are:
>>>
>>> 367K org.apache.aries.blueprint.core-0.4.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>> 120K org.apache.aries.jmx-0.3.jar
>>> 104K org.apache.aries.util-0.5-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>> 206K commons-jexl-2.0.jar
>>> 470K org.apache.felix.framework-4.0.2.jar
>>> 379K org.apache.karaf.shell.console-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>> 630K mina-core-2.0.3.jar (Already cut from minimal)
>>> 213K org.apache.servicemix.bundles.asm-3.3_2.jar
>>> 320K sshd-core-0.6.0.jar (Already cut from minimal)
>>> 529K pax-logging-service-1.6.3.jar
>>> 332K pax-url-wrap-1.3.5.jar
>>>
>>> Out of all the above jars I have to wonder why o.a.k.shell.dev is
>>> 2.3Mb in size, it's the second largest artifact in the kit.
>>>
>>> Cheesr,
>>> Jamie

>> --
>>
>> Christian Schneider