karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Database commands for Karaf
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:06:09 GMT
Hi guys,

let me try to summarise the different options:
- include in Karaf: it's not a good idea as the commands scope is not
purely container related
- include in a Karaf sub-project (as Karaf Extra on google, or a pure
sub-project as Cellar, WebConsole, Cave and EIK). Pros: we control/are
the community, the release cycle, etc. Cons: it's more difficult for
others communities to join and contribute.
- include in a KarafEE. It means in OpenEJB. It makes sense but we are
not involved in the OpenEJB community. More over, KarafEE is new and a
"lot" of stuff should be done
- include in Geronimo. Geronimo already use Karaf and some of us are
involved in the Geronimo communities. It could be interesting but it
means that we should be more involved in the Geronimo community.
- include in ServiceMix. We are most of all involved in the ServiceMix
community. It could be a good location even if it's not the core purpose
of ServiceMix.

Regards
JB

On 01/16/2012 11:21 PM, Łukasz Dywicki wrote:
> Hey all,
> I would opt for some from Apache repositories too, since we all have access to them.
I preffer a ServiceMix as destination project because from following reasons:

> 1) We have more Karaf commiters in ServiceMix than in any other project listed before
> 2) Our communities in past was strictly connected and we still cooperate very well
> 3) It looks like an application server domain but it don't have to be - exposed connection
factory can point to external IBM MQ or Oracle broker
> 4) ServiceMix can still be used with Geronimo, and these commands, if we'll keep dependencies
clear, can be part of Geronimo distribution to

> Only one problem we have is a big question mark regarding SMX5 project scope discussed
few months before. If it still be a OSGi ready or not. But so far development on 5th release
is almost nothing and we can focus on SMX4 and OSGi doing some improvements for community
eg in ServiceMix 4.4. That can proof that OSGi is the best choice for runtime. :)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org