karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Database commands for Karaf
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:11:00 GMT
Hi,

I pretty much liked the idea of Claus, that a "app-store" kind-of-thing
could be the home for such neat shell/other-stuff improvments on top of
Karaf.
I'm -1 for adding it into the scope of Karaf, cause it's plainly out of
scope. Never the less I think this is quite a handy shell command that
could be
quite useful for debugging purposes.

Now my 2 cents about the security stuff, I'm absolutely with Clause, that
the security system inside Karaf needs some improvments, not all commands
available should be executable for everyone. So a role-based security
system is needed here, and it might be even needed to prevent to install
certain shell commands
cause they might be of "risk" like the db-commands :)

Regards, Achim

2012/1/15 Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com>

> Well, TBH as long as we do not lay down our roadmap what we expect from
> Karaf's application service security (although Claus wrote down quite a
> detailed idea :-)) I somehow have the feeling that this is the wrong thread
> for a discussion about the security of those commands.
> -->
> @Commands: I still think that they'll better fit into other projects. I
> would like to wait some days what the Aries guys think about the proposal
> (I'll answer there too later today). Independently I like the idea of some
> kind of Karaf-Team-Maintained-Enterprise-Command-Repository. Maybe we could
> host it at github since it's ways fast to release/maintain there. We can
> use the Karaf lists and issue tracker to work on them but have more
> freedom. E.g. github.com/karaf or karaf-extras. If we allow only
> contributions for ppl signed the CLA or via the Karaf issue tracker we
> could in addition move those projects freely to karaf if we feel they're
> ready for the core or a sub-project.
> @Security: maybe start a new thread based on Claus's suggestions. I think
> this could be a good target for Karaf-3.x/4.x (depending on how deep we
> need to cut into Karaf for the various changes.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> 2012/1/15 Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>

> > > Well there is a problem, if anyone who can ssh into karaf, can execute
> > > any arbitrary SQL against any data sources deployed, and being able to
> > > hide using the credentials from the application level data source. If
> > > the user would always have to provide a username/password when
> > > executing the SQL using the Karaf commands, then that is better.
> >
> > We can introduce a multiple roles and then operator can grant access to
> > execute given command group. OSGi PermissionAdmin is another place which
> > can be involved in security checks.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Łukasz Dywicki
> > --