karaf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Karaf 3.0 Roadmap
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 06:14:53 GMT
Hi Uli,

first of all, thanks a lot for your e-mail.

We are working on trunk. We just wait some dependencies releases (that 
are mostly done) and a couple of issue fixes to be able to cut of the 
first beta release.

However, you are right about the roadmap. We discussed of that yesterday 
to create a "What's new in Karaf 3.0 ?" page in the manual, coupled with 
a kind of "Migration guide". I gonna work on that today, and review the 
pending issues/updates.

You will have some news very soon.


On 07/02/2012 11:45 PM, uromahn wrote:
> Hello Karaf community and especially to all committers!
> First of all, let me congratulate all of you for the second Birthday of
> Apache Karaf. I have been following this project for almost 18 months now
> and are truly and deeply impressed by your passion, professionalism and the
> quality product that has been created.
> Since we here at my company (not sure if I am allowed to disclose my
> employer directly , although it may be trivial to find out ;) ) are planning
> to heavily bank on Karaf as the core of our future Java-based runtime
> container, we also have a vested interest that Karaf is and will be a very
> active and productive OSS project.
> Once we can finally clear some internal legal hurdles, I hope we can then
> contribute more actively to Karaf and one of us here may even become a
> committer at some point in time.
> I also have actively followed the development on Karaf 3.0 and are really
> looking forward to its release. However, I am a little bit unsure about the
> future of Karaf 3.0.
> Until today, there is absolutely no mention about Karaf 3.0 and its
> existence on your public web site. The "official roadmap" published on your
> confluence (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Roadmap) is
> more than a year old!
> A few weeks ago, I noticed a discussion about possibly launching an
> alpha/beta program for Karaf 3.0 which would hopefully create some interest
> and help you guys in getting all the "kinks" out for the final release.
> However, no action has been taken to even announce an alpha/beta program.
> I maintain a daily snapshot of Karaf 3.0-SNAPSHOT myself here locally and
> test our current development on it whenever I have some time. So far, I have
> noticed just a few incompatibilities but just haven't had the time to fully
> migrate our application so I can run it on Karaf 3.0-SNAPSHOT as well.
> In general, may I suggest to update your public-facing web site and put some
> more focus on the current development of Karaf 3.0. That way you may
> generate more interest and may actually be able to speed up adoption of it,
> especially among users new to it who whish to adopt an OSGI container the
> first time.
> So, keep up the good work!
> Kind regards,
> -Uli
> --
> View this message in context: http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Karaf-3-0-Roadmap-tp4025136.html
> Sent from the Karaf - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Talend - http://www.talend.com

View raw message