karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Adding Webconsole Plugin for SCR
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 07:44:55 GMT
We had this discussion before and I opened a jira-issue for it :)

The idea was to have like a bundle-fragment for features.
So name it "feature-fragment" which attaches to a certain feature and
does get installed when
the "host" feature is installed. That's the quintessence of the idea :)

Ok there wasn't a specific issue for it yet :/
shame on me but it was somehow attached to another one [1]
the discussion about it can be found here [2]

regards, Achim

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1017
[2] - http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/PROPOSAL-A-features-fragment-for-extending-external-Features-td3709287.html

2012/7/25 Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com>:
> I'm afraid this wont be enough. For example there are very likely
> features which you don't want to install automatically just because
> you're installing some other preconditions (e.g. springs preconditions
> are pretty fast fullfilled, but who still wants it :-)). On the other
> hand you might have some AOP like profiler which should be installed
> in case you install management, BUT you don't want to install
> management if you install the profiler. Do you see what I mean? :-)
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Scott England-Sullivan
> <sully6768@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Something like the following?  Add an attribute that would mark a bundle as
>> a named dependency of a parent feature?
>>
>> <feature resolver="(obr)" description="Declarative Service support" version=
>> "3.0.0-SNAPSHOT" name="scr">
>>     .... snip ....
>>     <bundle start-level="30" feature-dependency="webconsole">
>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.scr/org.apache.karaf.scr.webconsole.plugin/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT
>> </bundle>
>> </feature>
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> not so sure if we don't mix up this with KARAF-201 [1]. Scanned the
>>> mailing list, the jira and my brain for a discussion for such a
>>> mechanism and couldn't find one. While it might be possible doing
>>> something like this with post-scripts (as described in [1]) it might
>>> still be better to have something dedicated for this --> It might be a
>>> good idea discussing this now and trying to forge an issue from it
>>> :-).
>>>
>>> One idea which jumps into my mind is something like: add a new tag to
>>> the features.xml; something like optional-extension. If you enter scr
>>> and webconsole there it could be installed automatically once both of
>>> the others are installed. We can scan for such features after each
>>> feature install. I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement that way
>>> and could come in quite handy for the current webconsole and the
>>> future karaf-webconsole.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas