karaf-dev mailing list archives

From garyhodgson <cont...@garyhodgson.com>
Subject Questions regarding Decanter
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 19:24:44 GMT
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding Decanter.

When used in multiple instances I found it was useful to add the instance
name as a logged attribute, i.e. the karaf.name system property.  This way
one can filter by instance.  Although it's a trivial change I'd happily
create a pull request via github, but my previous request appeared to go
unanswered.  Are Github PRs used at all? I see some PRs recorded in this
list, but not from the Decanter project. (btw, that PR is closed as the
change was implemented by someone else in parallel).

Regarding instances: I currently have it that each instance has a collector
and an Elasticsearch appender installed, which means that the entire ES
bundle is included.  There was mention in another thread about using an
alternative, lightweight, client to access Elasticsearch, and I just wanted
to mention that this would be a use case where such an option might be
attractive.

My other question is regarding metrics.  I see the JMX metrics being stored
in Elasticsearch, how are people presenting this information? via Kibana?
Up until now I have been running a Graphite Server + Grafana for metrics
(with ES + Kibana + Logstash for logging).  I thought it might be an
attractive option to be able to include some kind of Grafana + Time Series
DB as a feature.  My initial research led me to KairosDB which works nicely
with Grafana, and being Java based may be a candidate for wrapping as a OSGI
bundle.  (My initial attempt to do this has not yet been successful, but
that is probably due to my relative inexperience in wrapping existing
applications - although it's use of Guice may also be being problematic :/).
Kairos has the advantage that it can be backed by H2 or Cassandra, the
latter being also runnable on Karaf I believe.

So, the actual question: has anyone already considered such a metrics
solution? Is it desirable? feasible?

Best regards,

Gary