karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Questions regarding Decanter
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 04:44:34 GMT
Hi Gary,

First, thanks for your interest in Decanter.

Please, see my comments inline:

> When used in multiple instances I found it was useful to add the instance
> name as a logged attribute, i.e. the karaf.name system property.  This way
> one can filter by instance.  Although it's a trivial change I'd happily
> create a pull request via github, but my previous request appeared to go
> unanswered.  Are Github PRs used at all? I see some PRs recorded in this
> list, but not from the Decanter project. (btw, that PR is closed as the
> change was implemented by someone else in parallel).

Yes, PR is fine for Decanter: decanter is on Apache git-wip and with a
mirror on github.

> Regarding instances: I currently have it that each instance has a collector
> and an Elasticsearch appender installed, which means that the entire ES
> bundle is included.  There was mention in another thread about using an
> alternative, lightweight, client to access Elasticsearch, and I just wanted
> to mention that this would be a use case where such an option might be
> attractive.

The elasticsearch-appender is an elasticsearch client: you don't have to
install an elasticsearch instance in each Karaf instance. The appender
can use a "remote" elasticsearch instance.

> My other question is regarding metrics.  I see the JMX metrics being stored
> in Elasticsearch, how are people presenting this information? via Kibana?
> Up until now I have been running a Graphite Server + Grafana for metrics
> (with ES + Kibana + Logstash for logging).  I thought it might be an
> attractive option to be able to include some kind of Grafana + Time Series
> DB as a feature.  My initial research led me to KairosDB which works nicely
> with Grafana, and being Java based may be a candidate for wrapping as a OSGI
> bundle.  (My initial attempt to do this has not yet been successful, but
> that is probably due to my relative inexperience in wrapping existing
> applications - although it's use of Guice may also be being problematic :/).
> Kairos has the advantage that it can be backed by H2 or Cassandra, the
> latter being also runnable on Karaf I believe.
>
> So, the actual question: has anyone already considered such a metrics
> solution? Is it desirable? feasible?

Right now we use Kibana for the dashboard. The Decanter Console is in
preparation, especially to define the SLA and alerts.
Grafana looks interesting. For Kairos, I can create the bundle at
ServiceMix.
This feature would be interesting, however, we just have to be careful
to not focus too much on one direction: Decanter has to be generic, and
can use very different appender. So, we should avoid to tight too much
the dashboard/console with the appenders backends (and it's a challenge ;)).

Regards
JB