karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clean up karaf-maven-plugin goals
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 11:58:51 GMT

> Yes, when adding new goals, we should remove the "old" one.
>
> For instance, features-export-meta-data should replace the
> feature-generate-descriptor (and so update Karaf internal accordingly).

Thea features-export-meta-data does not seem to do much compared to the
feature-generate-descriptor.
Christian, could you give more insight of what this goal actually does ?
At first glance, it looks like it's creating a new feature descriptor, by
aggregating selected features from multiple repositories into a single
descriptor, and eventually in a single feature definition.  I'm not even
sure that's a good idea to use it, as the end result looks like
copy/pasting from the original descriptors instead of pointing to them.

> features-add-to-repository is clearly deprecated with install-kars.

Any known thing that this one would do which may not be present in the
install-kars mojo ?
Btw, I would favour a rename of that one, as it's now more about building a
distribution and kara may not be used at all (one could use profiles, kars
or simple features descriptors).
What about "create-distribution" ?

I don't think goals can have aliases, though for compatibility that could
be worked around by creating a derived class with the @Mojo annotation to
generate a different goal name without duplicating the code.