logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <wom...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [POLL] Component and ComponentBase
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:27:08 GMT
Not a bad idea per se, but what is the motivation with making it an
interface?  Will the outside world need to know about the Component
interface in any way?  Do we intend to reference log4j objects as Component
or maybe use it as a marker interface?

If we just need this internally for log4j then we could just add it as a
method on ComponentBase, and be done with it.  If we want external
developers to code their implementations to include this method (and not be
required to extend ComponentBase or AppenderSkeleton), then having it in an
interface makes sense.

I'm all for having interfaces instead of concrete parent classes, but just
having an interface to have an interface is my question.

-Mark