logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Component and ComponentBase
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:06:42 GMT

> The requirement to have both Component as an interface and
> ComponentBase as a class, stems from the fact that we make the
> distinction between Appender the interface and AppenderSkeleton the
> class. Implementations of Appender derive from AppenderSkeleton but
> all the other code in log4j refers to Appender and is oblivious to the
> existence of AppenderSkeleton.

One of the standards I've seen (and yes there are many) is to have the
abstract base class providing implemented methods to assist sub-classes
is to name it Abstract<InterfaceName>.  This appears to be a common
approach and I would put forward to the group.  *Base is fine, just
thought I'd mention that.

I would be -0.25 on the choice of "Component*" however.  If this is
truely only designed to be used by log4j internals then I think we
should appropriately name it.  As others have mentioned Component by
itself is far too generic (do an Open Type search in Eclipse for
Component and you'll see what I mean).  How about LoggingComponent and
LoggingComponentBase or derivations thereof?

cheers,

Paul Smith