logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <wom...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [POLL] Moving UGLI outside Apache?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:46:38 GMT
I would prefer to investigate keeping UGLI within ASF.  Moving UGLI outside
of Apache will not solve other project's objections to using log4j (or any
other Apache project) as I assume we are not planning to move log4j outside
of the ASF.  Quite frankly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for other
project's objections to the ASF license, given that it is so open and
flexible.  It seems more of a religious issue than a practical issue, IMHO.

Why do we care about the license issue?  If we really cared about that and
how it affects adoption rates, then what about the current projects in
logging services?  Should we take log4j BSD/MIT and triple our adoption
rate?

Is it licensing or a question as to whether the two cultures (LS & JCL) can
work together within the current environment?  I think that finding a way to
make it work is important.  If it can't work, then we can look at other
options.  I'm sorry I have not been able to keep up with the latest JCL
discussions, so I am commenting in that vacuum.

-Mark