logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Moving UGLI outside Apache?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:54:46 GMT

Will this allow us to continue to include UGLI in Log4j.jar or will it be
required to be a separate jar?  Also, what are our plans for UGLI?  I haven't
followed the commons-dev list.  Is there any new information being provided
there as to JCL's plans?  Is UGLI part of it?  If we continue with UGLI and JCL
doesn't go with it, are we prepared to continue with UGLI or are we going to
drop it for whatever JCL comes up with?  Is JCL dead-set on developing JCL 2.0
instead of moving to an agnostic (external to Apache) logging API or is there a
possibility of discontinuing it?  Are we (Log4j and JCL) prepared to promote two
"competing" logging API's?

Moving UGLI outside Apache might help it become more accepted, and it is a good
point that GPL and LGPL projects probably need to depend on a logging API with
a  non-Apache license.  But there are also these issues with JCL that need to
be worked out.  Do we have official answers for these questions?  If not, then
the move is fine for UGLI but maybe not so fine (or maybe just irrelevant) for
JCL.

Jake