logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: to-do list
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:16:01 GMT

On Apr 29, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Log4j and log4cxx are distinct code bases written in different
> languages. I oppose any artificial attempts to make Java code mimic
> C++ particularities, idiosyncrasies, deficiencies or a combination
> thereof.

It is the other way around, log4cxx attempts to mimic log4j in
architecture and behavior.  Since log4cxx is trying to mimic log4j
behavior, it is very helpful if that behavior is defined and the
easiest way to define that behavior is to add unit tests to log4j.

For example, there were no tests that checked whether log4j responded
to the encoding attribute on WriterAppender or checked whether the
expected output was generated.  For log4j development, that wasn't a
bad state of affairs since (a) no one had complained and (b) the JVM
did most of the work and likely did it right.  However, since log4cxx
has to implement a whole lot more code to accomplish the same thing, it
needed tests to check that implementation and the standard was whether
it worked the same as log4j.  Hence the desire to have parallel tests
in both log4j and log4cxx.

The tests I want to add to log4j are good normal JUnit tests, they were
just motivated by log4cxx development priorities.