logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Moving UGLI outside Apache?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:41:39 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> Having some real code/unit-tests to demonstrate the pros and cons of
> different approaches is much healthier than abstract theorising, and
> will hopefully be able to make it crystal clear which scenarios are
> better handled by which approach. Ceki posted some very useful demo code
> to the commons-dev list a month or so ago. Robert has recently posted
> some code too, which I hope you can find time to look at; see the mail
> archives for details. I havenĀ“t unfortunately been able to try it out
> yet but will next week. With my new understanding of classloaders I
> hopefully can provide some additional unit tests to demonstrate the
> pros/cons of various approaches.
>
> All this will of course take some time; thatĀ“s why my email of a week
> ago said that it would likely be a few months before any concensus was
> reached on the future of JCL.

And of course if the conclusion is that JCL needs significant change,
then we really need to get the agreement of major JCL users too. I can
imagine the screams from major JCL users (such as the Tomcat team) if a
new and incompatible JCL release is announced without gathering their
input/approval first. Again, runnable tests demonstrating the
differences between the old and new implementations should help
significantly in persuading people to back any changes.

Cheers,

Simon