logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release of log4j version 1.2.10
Date Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:57:36 GMT
I have added a mild disclaimer to binary distributions page in the CVS
for logging-site.  I also added a link to the cvsweb for
logging-chainsaw.  At the moment, the pages served by
logging.apache.org do not show either modification.  I'm hoping it is a
replication lag.

Given that there was no vote on log4j 1.2.10 and significant issues
worthy of discussion, I felt that is was essential that there be some
disclaimer so that unsuspecting visitors to the log4j web site would
not download a supposed production release that does not have the
endorsement of the PMC.  Text is:

Disclaimer: This release was posted without a required vote and may be
withdrawn.

In my previous message, I had attempted to describe one mechanism that
an SLF4J facade over log4j could offer comparable performance to a
direct implementation of SLF4J within log4j.  There are likely other
approaches that could also work and the one I outlined may not be the
best.   The intent was not to start a discussion on how write a
performant facade, but that there was the potential for a performant
facade so committing to a direct implementation in a production release
was premature.