logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] log4j version 1.2.10
Date Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:11:34 GMT

-1 based on Apache bylaws alone.

Beyond that, issues of slf4j integration with older Log4j releases should
be discussed before any further release of the Log4j-1.2.x codebase.  Curt
brought up an interesting issue with the possibility of a "performant
facade" over 1.2.x, making it so any 1.2.x release could work with slf4j,
with minimal performance degredation, rather than just 1.2.10+.  But my
main concern is putting out a Log4j-1.2.x release implementing the slf4j
interfaces when the interfaces might change.  For instance, what if we
added trace and fatal levels to slf4j?  At least the "trace" level would be
highly problematic and cause an slf4j version dependency problem.  I think
that before any official release is made, we need to nail down the slf4j
interfaces and then avoid changing them except for very good thought-out
reasons.  Then we can decide how Log4j should use slf4j; as a facade or
implemented interfaces (this applied to both the 1.2.x and 1.3 branches,
but more for the 1.2.x branch).  At that point we can make a release.  If
slf4j is to succeed, we must be very careful with how we make use of it.

Jake