logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] log4j version 1.2.10
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 02:45:00 GMT
At 05:07 PM 4/30/2005 -0400, you wrote:
 >Hi,
 >Obviously there are already enough -1's ;)  Let's pull the release off the
 >server, as I don't think the current disclaimer is sufficient.
 >
 >And let's start a separate thread to discuss dependence on slf4j.  I
wonder if
 >it can be done dynamically, with runtime discovery or a similar mechanism,
 >rather than as a hard compile-time dependency.

I think Ceki's idea of having hard compile-time dependencies is the only
solution I know of that avoids the commons-logging nightmare.  Any other
proposed solution would have to be at least as robust.  In any case, this
is different than the issue of whether Log4j-1.2.x or Log4j-1.3.x should
implement the interfaces or use a facade, which is mostly what has been
discussed over the past couple days.  In any case, I think Mark started a
new thread, so any further comments should go there.

Jake