logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject [POLL] Moving UGLI outside Apache?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:33:32 GMT

Greetings to all,

As a result of discussions held on this list and on commons-dev, I
think starting a new project based on or similar to UGLI outside
Apache Logging Services would benefit the wider OS community.

For one, many open source projects based on GPL or LGPL licenses
refuse to adopt log4j because of its Apache license which they deem
incompatible with their own. Whether the Apache Software license is
incompatible with GPL or LGPL is a matter of debate beyond the scope
of this email note. I am merely relaying the position adopted by the
Free Software Foundation, whose opinion carries considerable weight in
the open source world.

Given  UGLI's tiny  size,  I  think we  should  consider changing  its
license to BSD or MIT, in  order to facilitate its wider adoption.  As
an immediate consequence,  we would need to move  UGLI outside the ASF
because the foundation will not host software not Apache licensed.

Just as importantly, I think the lessons learned from the JCL
experience warrant a new approach. A new start should allow for
participants from the commons-dev community as well as Apache Logging
Services to share their knowledge in more open and cordial atmosphere.

Do you think starting a new project, based or similar to UGLI outside
the ASF is an option worth exploring?  Other comments? Opinions?

--
Ceki Gülcü