logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RollingFileAppender
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:23:55 GMT

On Oct 2, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Andreas Fester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I played with the RollingFileAppender in log4j 1.3 today, mainly
> because I started some work on the RollingFileAppender in log4cxx.
> Just to be sure:
>
> - The old RollingFileAppender (outside the rolling package)
>   is not supported anymore, not even as a delegate to support
>   the old property configuration?

The o.a.log4j.RollingFileAppender was removed from the CVS HEAD, but
a delegating implementation was added back for compatibility with
existing configuration files.  The delegating implementation has not
appeared in any log4j 1.3 alpha release.  The delegating
implementation is configuration compatible with the old
implementation but user-supplied class that extended
o.a.log4j.RollingFileAppender will likely fail to load and will
surely not perform as expected.  The delegating implementation should
be more robust that the log4j 1.2 implementation.  Not particularly
happy with the situation, maybe should leave the old buggy o.a.l.RFA
in the code for extension and have the configurators load a
delegating RFA if it sees the old class name.

> - I tried to configure the new RollingFileAppender like
>
> log4j.appender.testAppender=org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppend
> er
> log4j.appender.testAppender.triggeringPolicy=org.apache.log4j.rolling.
> SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
> log4j.appender.testAppender.file=RFA-test1.log
>
>   but it seems that properties can still only be Strings, especially
>   if their setter begins with "set" (there seems to be a similar
>   mechanism for "add..." methods). Complex types (like layout)
>   must be handled specially in the PropertyConfigurator?
>
>   This again would mean that configuring the RollingFileAppender
>   is not yet possible with the PropertyConfigurator?

That is my understanding.  I believe that filters are also not
configurable from property files.