logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chainsaw harmonization, branding, etc.
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 05:52:42 GMT

On Jul 1, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

>> I used the assembly:assembly plug to create a distribution,
>> however the descriptor (src/assembly/bin.xml) needs to be tweaked
>> to drop out non-re-distributable jars.  Hopefully, all the non-re-
>> distributable jars  are not essential to operation, at least not
>> on JDK 1.5. Currently, you can do java -jar on apache-chainsaw.jar
>> and the app launches.  I added the main-class and path entries to
>> the chainsaw jar, wouldn't do that on a library jar but hopefully
>> is a good thing for an application jar.
>>

> I've never found that main-class much use because of the external
> reference to jars.

The combo of Main-Class and Class-Path in there currently does allow
the jar to be double-clicked and successfully launch after the
tarball is expanded.  It does seem desirable in addition to the others.

> Personally I like the appassembler distribution that maven can
> build, plus the Mac-specific one.
>
> The external referenced jars are the crux of the problem with
> Chainsaw.  Out-of-the-box, Chainsaw is useful for socket-based
> operations and local file reading.  For JMS, DB, and VFS style
> operations, the 3rd-party requirements make it a tricky
> distribution problem.
>
> Which exactly are the non-redistributable jars?  Xstream and jmdns
> are the only listed dependencies in the pom, both of which are ASL
> licensed.  JSch (for ssh-based stuff like vfs) used to LGPL but is
> now BSD licensed, but we don't actually need to depend on that per-
> se (they can go in the plugins directory).

I don't think we can redistribute activation.jar, jms-1.1.jar,
jmxri-1.2.1.jar, jmxtools-1.2.1.jar and mail-1.4.jar which are
currently included in the generated tarball and zip archive.  They
are in the assembly since they are referenced by log4j, but they can
be suppressed.

>> I will probably need to get my head around the distribution
>> mechanisms.  I think we do need a classic distribution tarball
>> that is farmed out to the distribution mirrors.  Keeping the
>> WebStart is good, but I think it might need to be placed within
>> and use the Maven repo and have the downloads page point to a
>> nearby Maven mirror.
>>

> We might as well be consistent with a tarball distro, but I'm not
> sure that's what the users would want to use.  For non-webstart
> operations I actually think letting the user use Maven to build the
> complete distribution including all dependencies is actually
> probably the most pain-free for a user.

That would require Maven and a JDK where the current tarball can be
launched with just a JRE and tar.