logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fleiter <stefan.flei...@web.de>
Subject Re: Contribution of TimedDailyRollingFileAppender or CronExpressionFileAppender
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:26:03 GMT
Hi,

> We only want to guarantee, that all logfiles are rotated when the files are
> collected for analysis purposes. Since there can be extra logfiles configured
> for messages with very log frequency,
> it simply is not possible to defer logrotate until the next log message.

> I will prepare a patch and open an enhancement bugzilla.

I was too fast. Having a closer look RollingPolicy and TriggeringPolicy
this can only be implemented against the original intention of the
RollingFileAppender.

The only way to register a TimerTask which can call RollingFileAppender#rollover()
is in the fist call to TriggeringPolicy#isTriggeringEvent.
Since rollover() does not belong to any interface this would be quite ugly.

I am not convinced any more that using RollingFileAppender is a clean
solution for this purpose.

I think writing an Appender is cleaner and less code in this case.
What do you think?

Greetings,
Stefan