logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [log4j2] XML concise mode, class names to XML tags
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:44:22 GMT
Thanks, Derek. All feedback is welcome.

When I first started naming things I had the "type" tacked on to the end. But then I noticed
that the appenders all had to appear within an appenders element so adding "Appender" to the
end of them all seemed pointless as they all obviously had to be Appenders.  However, the
same isn't true with Filters and Layouts, etc., which can appear in any order and you wouldn't
necessarily know what they were without adding its type to its name.

Ralph

On Aug 20, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Derek Moore wrote:

> I'm incorporating log4j 2.0-alpha1 into an existing product to replace/improve a logging
infrastructure based on java.util.logging.

> log4j2 looks rather nice, I like how it adds further refinement to slf4j's improvements.
>
> The configuration documentation is nice, but obviously it's all over the map (as are
most things similarly open-ended, so that's understandable).

> Coming away from my first few days messing with it, I am curious how XML tags relate
to class names.

> <RollingFile> translates to RollingFileAppender
> but
> <PatternLayout> or <CompositeTriggeringPolicy> translate to PatternLayout
& CompositeTriggeringPolicy

> It might be a good idea to just be consistent with the Concise XML format. As is, it
kind of leaves you guessing as to when tag names will & will not be concatenated to resolve
class names.

> Hopefully I'll have more productive things to say as I work with log4j2 in completing
this project, but you gotta start somewhere.