It is relatively common in log4j and extras for both appenders and receivers to add properties to events (see the use of the 'application' socketappender property in log4j).

There is an implementation detail in log4j's LoggingEvent that caused me to have to 'wrap' the logging event for use in Chainsaw: LoggingEvent provides a read-only copy of properties.

Chainsaw uses the properties mechanism itself in order to support the dynamic rendering capabilities it provides.  Events in Chainsaw can be rendered differently based on the time delta from the previous displayed row, which changes when the display filter is updated.

If you can provide a way for me to update properties, I'd use whatever API you gave me.

Scott