ok, LogEvent is an interface, but in core.  And I'm coding the receivers against that interface, which says it returns a copy but does not in Log4jLogEvent:

  /**
     * Get the MDC data.
     *
     * @return A copy of the Mapped Diagnostic Context or null.
     */

By the way, the class javadoc for ThreadContext is incomplete or incorrect.

/**
 * The ThreadContext allows applications to store information either in a Map
 * <p/>

So, I need a new API that doesn't return a copy? Or do I have to create a copy of an event when I add properties?