logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: 2.0-beta7
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 17:21:49 GMT

On May 30, 2013, at 12:08 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I am going through the open issues and addressing those I either think need immediate
attention or I just find interesting.  I am planning on starting the release of 2.0-beta7
either later today or tomorrow morning.  If you have something you want to get in to the release
I suggest you do it now.

As much as I hate for yet another version of the soon-to-be-deprecated log4j-web artifact
to be released, I'll have to wait to tackle LOG4J2-270 after 2.0-beta7 comes out. I won't
be able to get to it until Sunday at the earliest.

> Why are we still doing beta releases, by the way?
> So far I see the API pretty stable. Why shouldn't we start with
> 2.0-stable and then keep on going with 2.1, 2.2 etc as we find bugs?

The API /is/ pretty stable, but there are other parts (like the Core) that are still evolving
a little bit. One example is the JPAAppender, which is still untested due to a bug in the
beta version of the JPA2.1 reference implementation.

Also, even the API might change slightly. See LOG4J2-242.

I /do/ think that beta7 could probably be our last beta, based on my review of the code base.
It would be nice to come to some kind of agreement on what the next few milestones are and
approximately when we'd like to deliver them. I'm thinking:

2.0-beta7: May 31
2.0-rc1: June 24
2.0-rc2: July 15
2.0.0 / 2.0.0.FINAL / 2.0.0.RELEASE (or whatever we're going to call it): August 5

Thoughts?