logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Final (again) (was Re: r1501104)
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 00:14:42 GMT
This topic was covered in an email thread that started with this email - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-log4j-dev/201301.mbox/%3CCACZkXPwsDyD-X%2B5wHuq4X26wzCZnsHJ%3Ds5rLJNKe71XYyg6LfA%40mail.gmail.com%3E.
 Unfortunately I don't know how to link the whole thread from the apache archives but you
can find it at http://marc.info/?t=134978818500007&r=1&w=2.

I happen to agree with you, as you will see from the thread.  I find it more annoying that
many, many files were changed at once with no warning.  I also suspect Gary does this through
something automated in Eclipse, which means he doesn't see the comments that say "don't do
that".

Ralph

On Jul 9, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Nick Williams wrote:

> Gary,
>
> Earlier today you committed r1501104 with the following comment:
>
>> Add final modifier to private fields.
>> Add final modifier to method parameters.
>> Add final modifier to local variables.
>
> I've seen you do similar things before, too. Can you explain a little bit why you do
this? There's certainly no compiler value--the compiler for a long time has been capable of
determining whether a variable is ever changed and optimizing appropriately. All it seems
to do to me is clutter the code...significantly. It makes the code harder to read, IMO.