logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Flume 1.4.0 Released
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:36:07 GMT
Thanks.  I've known for months that the changes Flume was making for the embedded support are
not backward compatible.  So when we upgrade, the embedded appender will require a minimum
of Flume 1.4.  However, the avro and persistent variations should still work with 1.2, 1.3
and 1.3.1.

I don't know if this will make it into the next beta.  At the moment I am working on the nasty
issue with Berkely DB that Edward reported.  Luckily, very few applications are likely to
be affected by the problem.

Ralph

That code did get adopted by Flume and is available as embedded agent in Flume JARS. http://flume.apache.org/releases/content/1.4.0/FlumeDeveloperGuide.html#embedded-agent

> Using the Flume embedded agent for the Log4j2 agent is possibly the best approach: it's
the original log4j2 code slightly modified and should continue to be maintained by the Flume
team. Hopefully there are not problems where it doesn't actually work.

> Cheers,
> Edward
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Edward Sargisson <esarge@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> You may be interested to know that Flume 1.4.0 was released this morning.
>
> This is relevant to Log4j2 to because the Log4j2 Embedded Flume Appender relies on classes
in Flume 1.3.1 for configuration that have changed in Flume 1.4.0.