logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Verbose logging level
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 02:30:09 GMT
Hi All:

I've just come across the need for distinguishing log entries somewhat
between what INFO and DEBUG provide.

I think of the DEBUG level as a watermark where data is provided for
developers and support to do deep debugging. INFO is for users. But I see
the need now for providing an easy way to give user more information (hence
VERBOSE or another word) which is not at the DEBUG level of detail.

Ideally, I'd like this in INFO mode:

INFO Reading configuration
INFO Running server

Then in a new VERBOSE mode:

INFO Reading configuration
VERBOSE Reading accounts
VERBOSE Reading this config data
VERBOSE Reading that config data
VERBOSE Reading other config data
INFO Running server

The in DEBUG mode, you'd get all the things that are real debug information
like

DEBUG Configuration location was not provided on the command line.
DEBUG Searching classpath for configuration: cp entries
DEBUG Searching user home for configuration: c:\users\...
DEBUG Found configuration at location xzy, last modified date: ...
INFO Reading configuration

Thoughts?

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/