What are contemplating changing in log4j-api?

Ralph

On Jan 3, 2014, at 8:28 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not sure what policy WRT binary and source compatibility we have in log4j 1 and 2. Over in Commons, if you break BC, in general, that means a package name change and a Maven name change, for example from o.a.commons.lang to lang3. This is using the Clirr report to check for errors. There are exceptions of course, usually if a public API changes but it is considered part of the implementation and not what a call site should use.

I forgot to mention, in Log4j, we have a more stringent requirement since there are users of log4j and implementors of appenders. So some of the log4j guts are necessarily public to allow Appender implementations to be written.

Gary

Gary