logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Syslog
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2017 14:06:36 GMT
Let me rephrase. http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#SyslogAppender <http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#SyslogAppender>
describes exactly what it does - write either using the BSD Syslog format or the RFC 5424
format. A user who wants to write to syslog is most likely going to look at that appender
and use it. The SyslogAppender uses the two layouts to accomplish this. The fact that the
two layouts are also available for people to use is incidental.

Are you proposing that somehow the two layouts should not be available for user’s to use?

Ralph

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 7:01 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> Why?
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Apr 5, 2017, at 6:56 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:

>> I see. But couldn't it be a bit confusing for users to have both?
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>> I’m not sure I understand the question. Have you looked at the code?  The syslog
appender is nothing more than the SocketAppender hardwired to use one of those two layouts.
However, there is nothing preventing someone from using those Layouts with a different appender.

>> Ralph
>>

>>> On Apr 5, 2017, at 3:57 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:

>>> Why do we have both SyslogAppender and SyslogLayout/RFC5424Layout?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Mikael Ståldal
>>> Senior software developer
>>>
>>> Magine TV
>>> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>
>>> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>>>
>>> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
>>> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,