From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: how to access and manipulate the log4j configuration programmatically
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:10:26 GMT
Sure.  You can query appenders from logger objects and manipulate everything
programatically.  There used to be an application called LogWeb [1] that did this,
but seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.  The code was licensed under
Apache2, if I recall correctly, so I would think it would still be available
somewhere?

In any case, there's a simple ConfigurationServlet [2] in the Log4j sandbox that
you can try to get started quickly.

[1] http://www.codeczar.com/projects/components/logweb/
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/sandbox/log4j/log4j_sandbox/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/servlet/ConfigurationServlet.java

Jake

On 12/11/2009 8:42 PM, Daniela Wersin wrote:
> Hi all
>
> is there a way to access and manipulate the log4j configuration programmatically from
Java? For example, I would like to get all ConsoleAppenders and modify their ConversionPattern.
I am aware that I could parse each line in the configuration file, or load the configuration
into a Java Properties object and inspect each Property, but both these approaches are tedious
and I wonder if there's a better way.