From "KARR, DAVID" <dk0...@att.com>
Subject What happens if I do NOT add the listener and filter in a servlet 2.5 webapp?
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2016 15:22:36 GMT
I'm looking at running a webapp in a version of WebLogic that appears to only support (at maximum)
the Servlet 2.5 spec.  The Log4j2 docs talk about using Log4j2 in a Servlet 2.5 container,
at https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/webapp.html#Servlet-2.5 .

This page says the following:
"If you are using Log4j in a Servlet 2.5 web application, or if you have disabled auto-initialization
with the isLog4jAutoInitializationDisabled context parameter, you must configure the Log4jServletContextListener
and Log4jServletFilter in the deployment descriptor or programmatically."

Nowhere does it say WHY this MUST be done, what this causes when you do it, or even what the
consequences are if you do not do this (ok, probably same as the first point).

I have a feeling the main reason these are required is not for startup, but for shutdown,
but again, I see no clear information either way.

I ended up deploying this app to that container, without adding these, and I saw no obvious
symptoms.

In addition to the above questions, I need to understand what the impact is, if any, to having
this listener and filter running in a Servlet container newer than 2.5.  I would guess it
would cause no harm, but again, no information means no information.