From Gregg Donovan <gdono...@etsy.com.INVALID>
Subject 20 second log4j2 configuration. How to fix?
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2019 17:38:31 GMT
Hello! We noticed when profiling our server startup that log4j2's
configuration process was taking over 20 seconds. From the YourKit profile
(see below) it appears to be from scanning the classpath for JARs that may
contain plugins. We have a lot of JARs, so this takes some time, I suppose.

Our configuration is fairly minimal. The StackdriverJsonLayout is a custom
Etsy plugin.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Configuration status="error" dest="error" shutdownHook="disable"
packages="com.etsy.util,org.apache.logging.log4j.core.layout">
<Appenders><Console
name="console"><StackdriverJsonLayout/></Console></Appenders>
<Loggers><Root level="info"><AppenderRef ref="console" /></Root></Loggers>
</Configuration>

How can we minimize log4J2 configuration time? We're open to anything,
including using Java configuration. Minimizing configuration time trumps
all other concerns.

Thanks!

Gregg Donovan
Staff Software Engineer, Etsy.com

[image: Screenshot from 2019-07-29 15-59-31.png]