From Brett Walker <brett.wal...@geometry.com.au>
Subject Backwards incompatiable changes introduced in 2.13.0?
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2019 12:21:42 GMT
Hi List,

Prior to 2.13.0 I was shutting down Log4J2 using:

    LogManager.shutdown();

I had to do this to release files during a unit testing to release locks on files.

After upgrading to 2.13.0 this broken some unit tests which were now failing because test
pre-conditions could not delete files due to them having active locks.

I was able to resolve this by replacing the above with the following:

    LogManager.shutdown(LogManager.getContext(false));

I was able to determine that this change was introduced by LOG4J2-2716 (253ada6ff2fb6c6a0dcfee8ed432372215f2ef78).

Is this change an intended consequence of LOG4J2-2716, or an unforeseen side effect?

Will the FAQ need to be updated (https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/faq.html#shutdown)?

Brett Walker