lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>
Subject RE: Odd exceptions in both 3.5 and 4.1-SNAPSHOT
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:11:49 GMT
We see these EofExceptions in our system occasionally. I believe they occur when our SolrJ
client times out and closes the connection, before Jetty returns the response.

-Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:solr@elyograg.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:07 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Odd exceptions in both 3.5 and 4.1-SNAPSHOT

I'm running 3.5.0 in production (with an old patch from SOLR-1972) and yesterday's branch_4x
in dev (with the most recent SOLR-1972 patch).
Both versions are spitting occasional exceptions.  You can see them both
here:

http://pastie.org/private/o2ekh0drs4syqb6t8re4w

I'm pretty sure that the 4.1 exceptions are being triggered when a recently written homegrown
app contacts all my Solr servers (both 3.5 and 4.1) to get /admin/mbeans data from the 16
cores that live on each server.

The 3.5 server is in production with lots of information in the logs, so I don't know exactly
what's causing it there.  I suspect that it's been doing this for a while now, even before
I wrote my /admin/mbeans app.
These exceptions correspond to times when haproxy (using /admin/ping
healthcheck) marks the server DOWN because the health check takes longer than 5 seconds, and
that's been happening for months now, possibly even for a couple of years.

I already filed SOLR-4191 for the 4.1 side, I just discovered it on 3.5 this morning.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn