mina-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Francia <and...@andreafrancia.it>
Subject Re: Why FtpFile#listFiles() require that the file list is ordered?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:02:51 GMT
Dave Roberts wrote:
> Andrea Francia wrote:
>> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

>>> Because it's the order that will be returned to the client, and if
>>> it's a long listing it's better to let the implementation do the
>>> ordering than do it afterwards.
>> I think that sorting should be a client issue and a client decision.
>> The client choose to sort by name, modification time, user, group or
>> whatever he wants.
>
> That very much depends on the client, which may not have the
> capability of performing ordering at all.
If the client needs an ordered file list it should not rely on the
server. Not all server do this.

> What order do you think the server should return the list?  Or are you
> suggesting that it should be unordered/random according to the backend
> storage?
My suggestion is to let the implementation choose. And use the same
javadoc requirements found in java.io.File#list()

 From http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/File.html#list()

> There is no guarantee that the name strings in the resulting array
> will appear in any specific order; they are not, in particular,
> guaranteed to appear in alphabetical order.

A "nicer" implementation could choose to returns the files in
alphabetical order, even if I doubt this will be always "nice". The
preferred ordering depends by the client and it's purpouse. For example
for client which incrementally backup files could prefer the
modification time ordering.

--
Andrea Francia
http://andreafrancia.blogspot.com/2008/07/colinux-linux-dentro-windows.html