mina-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Francia <and...@andreafrancia.it>
Subject Re: Why FtpFile#listFiles() require that the file list is ordered?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:52:11 GMT
Dave Roberts wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Andrea Francia wrote:
>>> I think that before designing a new method we will ask ourself if
>>> there is a Use Case where it is used.
>>>
>> Good point. So is it important that the files are sorted or not
>> sorted ? Do we have some use cases  for it ?
>>
>> IMHO, I would rather prefer dealing with files sorted in @ order when
>> I ask for a file list : as a user, if this method returns a sorted
>> list, this is less work I have to do on my side.
>
> A standard command line FTP Client doesn't do any ordering of the list
> information.  So as a user, I want to see the files come back sorted
> by name.  As I recall, every server I've connected to does this.
Then I think that this should be a suggestion for the ftpclient
implementation not a MUST requirement.
I'm suggesting to change the Javadoc should say:

   /**
    * List file objects. If not a directory or does not exist, null will be
    * returned. There is not requirements about the ordering of the files
    * but it's suggested to returned them ordered in alphabetical order.
    */
   FtpFile[] listFiles();

--
Andrea Francia