mina-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Francia <and...@andreafrancia.it>
Subject Re: Why the getLastModified did not return a java.util.Date?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:22:09 GMT
Andrea Francia wrote:
> W.B. Garvelink wrote:
>> For a good dissertation on what's wrong with util.Date, read up on
>> Stephen Colebourne's summary of it wrt to JSR-310 date/time API:
>> http://www.parleys.com/display/PARLEYS/Home#slide=1;title=JSR%20310%20-%20Date%20and%20Time%20API;talk=7602357

>> It's fairly comprehensive, and a lot more eloquent than I could
>> possibly explain it here.
>>
> I'll read that, thanks.

I view the presentation. I changed some of my thougth.
I think that a specific class should (almost) always preferred to
primitives but:
 - the java.util.Date class sucks
 - there is not a better standard alternative.
 - hopingly the java.util.Date class will be superseeded by JSR-310
Instant class

But :
 - the java.util.Date is standard and used in may existing libraries
 - we can not yet use (in ftplet API) the Instant class

Now I can understand some justification of this design.

Thanks to all

--
Andrea Francia
http://andreafrancia.blogspot.com/2008/07/colinux-linux-dentro-windows.html