mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Niklas Gustavsson" <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: Why FtpFile#listFiles() require that the file list is ordered?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:47:17 GMT
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Andrea Francia <andrea@andreafrancia.it> wrote:
> A "nicer" implementation could choose to returns the files in alphabetical
> order, even if I doubt this will be always "nice". The preferred ordering
> depends by the client and it's purpouse. For example for client which
> incrementally backup files could prefer the modification time ordering.

As already discussed, I don't think we should argue about what order
FtpServer should return to the client, it pretty much has to be
ordered. There is no way for the client to specify ordering in FTP and
as Dave said, all servers I've used follow this convention.

The discussion on what part of the server (core or the file system
implementation) that should do the ordering is of more interest.

/niklas