mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrea Francia" <and...@andreafrancia.it>
Subject Re: Exceptions of the FileSystemView
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 12:37:02 GMT
2008/10/2 Steve Ulrich <steve.ulrich@proemion.com>:
> I had similar discussions about the need of own exceptions, always with the same background:
laziness and fear of complexity.
> The argumentation always reminds me on the Exceptions part of the mindprod "unmain"-Site:
> "Subclassing exceptions is for incompetents who know their code will fail. You can greatly
simplify your program by having only a single try/catch in the entire application (in main)
that calls System.exit()."

The use of a single FtpException goes in this direction.
The exception of the filesystemView methods should be designed for each method.
For example:

public interface FileSystemView {
  FileObject getHomeDirectory()
        throws  NoSuchFileObject,                  // in the case the
specified home directory doesn't exist
                   FileSystemBackendException;  // in the case
somehting in the backend fails (JDBC link down, SQL Exception)
  FileObject getCurrentDirectory()
        throws FileSystemBackendException;  // in the case somehting
in the backend fails (JDBC link down, SQL Exception)

  boolean changeDirectory(String dir)
        throws  NoSuchFileObject,                  // in the case the
specified home directory doesn't exist
                   FileSystemBackendException;  // in the case
somehting in the backend fails (JDBC link down, SQL Exception)

  FileObject getFileObject(String file)
        throws  NoSuchFileObject,                  // in the case the
specified home directory doesn't exist
                   FileSystemBackendException;  // in the case
somehting in the backend fails (JDBC link down, SQL Exception)

  boolean isRandomAccessible();              // no expected exceptions
  void dispose();                                        // no
expected exceptions
}

Sorry for indentation, I don't know how to use the gmail to use monospace fonts.

--
Andrea Francia
http://andreafrancia.blogspot.com/