mina-dev mailing list archives

From Lyor Goldstein <lgoldst...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Q: SSHD - Should we add dependencies to Apache Commons or not ?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2018 07:48:18 GMT
>>>  Of course, it's all about the size of what is copied. At some point, it
would be better to go witha third party dependency instead of copying
its code.

Valid observation - we will need to "weigh" the amount of copied code and
see how "heavy" it is.

>>> On important aspect of adding external dpendencies is that it' binds ou users,
unless they use OSGi.

I am not clear as to what this concern actually raises. SSHD has at least
one mandatory dependency (*slf4j*) and at least 2 others that are very
likely to be used - *Bouncycastle* (the code can work quite smoothly even
without it, but many consider it very useful) and *EdDsa* (optional as far
as SSHD is concerned, but effectively *must *have for users who require
EDDSA keys support). So what does it matter if instead of 1, 2 or 3
dependencies we have 5, 6, 7, or even 10 ? How does this require OSGi ?
Isn't Maven/Gradle dependency mechanism good enough ?