nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joey Frazee <joey.fra...@icloud.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] CI / Travis / Jenkins
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2017 19:21:00 GMT
I’m sure everyone has noticed that Travis CI fails, incorrectly, more than it succeeds, often
due to timeouts and not b/c of the incorrectness of a commit or PR.

This has been discussed previously, but it’s carried on, and become a low information signal
about the PRs, which has two big impacts: (1) it’s ignored by experienced contributors and
reviewers, and (2) it’s confusing or misleading to new contributors.

So, we really need to find a solution. I can think of a few:

1. Continue to push on INFRA to setup Jenkins for NiFi and its sub-projects.

2. Implement some kind of quick-test profile and shell script that checks the most important
things along with the subdirectories affected by the PR, and continue to use Travis CI.

3. Use some other service like Circle CI or Codeship, which probably isn’t quite what ASF
wants but it might make the CI more useful (it also might not).

4. Find a sponsor to support a more premium tier of Travis CI (or equiv.) so the build has
enough resources to to succeed. This too probably isn’t preferable but I’m sure we can
find a precedent.

I’m partial to pursuing (1) and (2) together because (1) would give us a long term solution
and (2) would have some value for local builds (no need to run the full build) as well as
making Travis CI tell us something. The first should be pretty low effort. The second will
be labor intensive I think — to identify what counts as quick and change the poms — so
it can’t be the answer on its own unless we want to wait longer to see Travis CI become
informative.

What do the rest of you think?

-joey