nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Doran <kdo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comparing NiFi API versions between releases
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2018 20:08:57 GMT
Hi Jagrut,

Are you referring to the REST API or the public Java interfaces and classes?

As a general note, NiFi versions follow semantic versioning [1] guidelines,
so for external-facing APIs (both Java and REST), there may be additions or
non-breaking changes across minor versions, but there will never be
deletions or breaking-changes.

## For the REST API

For the last several versions of NiFi, a Swagger/OpenAPI [2][3]
specification (swagger.json file) is generated from the source code build,
here:

<repo_root>/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-web/nifi-web-api/target/swagger-ui/swagger.json

For previous releases, you can either build from source by checking out the
tag associated with the release version (rel/nifi-<version>).
I'm not sure if the ordering of this JSON file is deterministic, but
diff'ing it across versions might be one way to pinpoint changes.

## For the Java APIs

I don't know of a quick trick for this, but you can narrow the problem down
a lot if you are only concerned about external-facing NiFi APIs for
extension points, most (all?) of which are in modules that end in "-api":

    find /path/to/nifi-source -type d -name "*-api" -print

Hope this helps,
Kevin

[1] https://semver.org
[2] https://swagger.io