nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com>
Subject ASF board report for Apache NiFi Jan 2021
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2021 19:20:51 GMT
Team,

Here is what I submitted to the board.  Great progress continues!

The mission of NiFi is the creation and maintenance of software related to
providing an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process and
distribute data.

Apache NiFi MiNiFi is an edge data collection agent built to seamlessly
integrate with and leverage the command and control of NiFi. There are both
Java and C++ implementations.

Apache NiFi Registry is a centralized registry for key configuration items
including flow versions, assets, and extensions for Apache NiFi and Apache
MiNiFi.

Apache NiFi Nar Maven Plugin is a release artifact used for supporting the
NiFi classloader isolation model.

Apache NiFi Flow Design System is a theme-able set of high quality UI
components and utilities for use across the various Apache NiFi web
applications in order to provide a more consistent user experience.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache NiFi was founded 2015-07-14 (5 years ago)
There are currently 48 committers and 32 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Arpad Boda on 2020-05-24.
- Marton Szasz was added as a committer on 2020-07-13

The PMC is discussion committer and PMC candidates right now. Three
candidates are likely to be voted upon within the coming days and
the pipeline remains strong.

## Project Activity:
The last release of Apache NiFi was 1.12.1 on Sep 29, 2020.  We're now in
the
release candidate creation phase of Apache NiFI 1.13.0 which is a full
feature
bearing release including over 200 JIRAs.

With respect to Apache NiFi MiNiFi Java the work is still progressing for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINIFI-422 which will merge MiNiFi
Java
back into NiFi as a headless form of NiFi supporting both broad use case
patterns well and reduce the release/codebase burden.

Apache NiFi MiNiFi CPP 0.8.0 is still in progress with over 180 JIRAs with
the
0.9.0 release already begun as well including nearly 20 JIRAs and an initial
framing of a 1.0 (major) release in progress as well.

## Community Health:
We observed a decline in mailing list activity as well as JIRAs and commits
this quarter but this is largely due to what appeared to be a solid couple
of
weeks of limited engagement likely due to the holidays.

However, there are many vibrant and engaging threads related to release
activities or feature work and contribution reviews so health remains quite
strong.

The Apache NiFi slack channel activity continues its impressive growth in
viewership and engagement growing another 200 users in the past quarter
which
seems to be consistent.  It does seem like a lot of mailing list activities
have moved there but we still encourage people to take anything lasting or
for
which they dont get prompt responses back to the mailing list.

Activity on twitter, stackoverflow, youtube, blogs remains interesting and
much of it happens by people not engaged in the Apache NiFi community at
all.

Stale PRs remains an area of concern as we've noted in previous reports
though
we are still not specifically addressing that problem.  We've done some
research into how other communities handle it (or dont) but do not yet have
specific plan.