nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: In memoriam of Jeff Storck
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:42:41 GMT
Jeff loved mocks, both friendly impressions and in his tests.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com
He/Him

> On Jun 15, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Jeremy Dyer <jdye64@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is shocking and heartbreaking news. Jeff was a great guy and will be deeply missed.

> The last time I saw Jeff in person was with Aldrin. We were eating at Bonchon chicken
and he was mocking me for how little spice I could handle XD. I could always count on him
for a good Dumb and Dumber reference and laugh. We also shared a common hatred for conference
food.

> RIP Jeff
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 2:33 PM Joe Witt <joe.witt@gmail.com <mailto:joe.witt@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> You will be greatly missed.  Your impact to this community has been tremendous.  The
items Andy summarizes were huge efforts that you drove over periods of many many months if
not a year or more and they make NiFi so much more accessible than before.

> RIP Jeff.
>

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:24 AM Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org <mailto:alopresto@apache.org>>
wrote:
> It is with a heavy heart that I write to the NiFi community today. Jeff Storck, a PMC
member, committer, and genuine and helpful presence in the community, has passed away.

> I was lucky enough to know Jeff personally for many years, and his absence is a huge
loss to all of us who did. Jeff was incredibly intelligent, but also kind and willing to share
his experience with everyone. Whether playing volleyball (I am nowhere near as good but he
humored me), discussing the best ramen and sushi spots, or evaluating a new exercise regime,
Jeff brought passion to everything. A number of us are sharing stories of our favorite times
with Jeff, and I am touched by how many people have a memory of Jeff reaching out and patiently
helping them when they were new or struggling with a task.

> While other colleagues would happily transition to any topic _but_ work when we went
to a nearby brewery at the end of a long day, Jeff would sit down next to me and say with
a smile, "Ok Andy, work's done, now we can _really_ talk about Groovy unit testing." He never
shied away from expressing his perspective and stood on conviction, but he was also open and
genuinely wanted to hear other views to expand his mind.

> If you come across a Spock test in the NiFi codebase, that was most likely Jeff's work.
He was intimately involved in much of the most challenging code - especially Kerberos integration,
making the difficult but critical processes easier for our users. Anyone running NiFi on Java
11 should thank Jeff, as that was a labor of love, pushing against the headwinds of so many
compatibility issues and language changes. The ease with which NiFi runs on multiple versions
and platforms belies the immense amount of effort and dedication that he put into making this
happen.

> There are so many aspects to Jeff that a note like this could never capture, but one
that stands above the rest to me is Jeff's passion for learning and growth. He devoted himself
to doing the best he could and constantly improving that. That is a noble philosophy that
I know I will remember and admire moving forward. I’ve already started learning Kotlin because
of Jeff’s enthusiasm and encouragement.

> Jeff’s family has created a GoFundMe page [1] and there they describe their intent
to celebrate his life. I think that message is very positive and uplifting. To anyone wondering
how they can honor Jeff's legacy, I suggest offering a helping hand to someone who needs it.
Something as simple as responding to an extra "newbie" mailing list question at the end of
a long day, or taking on a challenging task because your neighbor has their plate full. That's
how Jeff lived, and he made the world a better place.