ode-dev mailing list archives

From Paul R Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hibernate Removal
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:45:36 GMT

> They are by no means complete/exhaustive but given the urgency around
> removing Hibernate, I think I have enough tests to jump on the OpenJPA
> implementation. Please shout if this has been picked up, otherwise
> I plan to
> start in on it.

+1 from me.

I looked a little bit at the (?) other persistence projects at Apache
-- iBatis and Cayenne (both incubating), but I haven't really made up
my mind as to their suitability yet.

- The elephant in the room with iBatis is the same as with raw JDBC
-- there is no schema generation facility, so a from-scratch database
design would be required for each database we wanted to support.

- Cayenne looks more promising in that it will generate the db schemas.

The almost cheating route may be to use Cayenne to import a Hibernate-
generated schema, generate objects from that, and bind them to the
DAO interfaces...

-- Paul